Tuesday, April 10, 2007
We always have scones with coffee, however if buying scones in cafe (especially for the whole family)..it's sure to burnt a hole in the pocket. Why not make them yourself at home.
This recipe is very easy even for a beginner. The scones are very fluffy and yummy.
Most importantly, it doesn't involve lots of work.
Will be ready in 30 minutes time (including baking time).
* 1 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 cup raisins (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
3. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter, until resembles bread crumb. Stir the milk mixture and egg into the flour mixture. Mix in the raisins.
4. Knead briefly. Roll dough into two 3/4 inch thick round. Cut each into 6 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Serve with butter and jam.
p/s to make it even fluffier, try adding a tablespoon of vinegar/lime juice to the cup of milk, set aside for 10 minutes, then use as per recipe.
Better, if u could get sour cream.